Posts Tagged ‘ruby’

Trac Setup

Monday, July 7th, 2008

Redmine ended up being a bust due to Debian shipping a version of ruby (1.8.7) that is incompatible with Ruby on Rails. Apparently it doesn’t work above 1.8.6. I am impressed that a language’s flagship application gets broken by a point release and no one seems to have anything to say about it other than “don’t use 1.8.7”.

I switched back to Trac despite its limitations because it actually works. Of course, then I had to set up its user authentication, which was a headache of its own. Sometimes I cannot win.

Now, to put things on wikis!

Redmine Setup

Friday, July 4th, 2008

Having been annoyed by some of the limitations of trac in the past, I have decided that for an upcoming (sshhh! say nothing!) project, I’d try to use redmine, which seems to be about the same but with less suck.

Unlike trac, which is written in python, redmine uses ruby on rails (How terribly Web two-point-oh!). I checked the 0.7 version of redmine out of their repository and installed a bunch of debian ruby-related packages (ruby, rubygems, rake, rails, libdbd-mysql-ruby, libyaml-ruby), only to find that their version of rails is quite broken. After running gem install rails -v 2.0.2 things seemed to be going better.

Using apache instead of the built in web server added a few additional kinks. I needed to copy the virtual host config from GettingStartedWithRails (site currently broken, Google cache used). Then, I had to tweak the contents of the redmine directory a bit to get the right script executing. cp dispatch.cgi.example dispatch.cgi and then edit .htaccess, taking a pointer from the fastcgi lines, to include RewriteRule ^(.*)$ dispatch.cgi [QSA,L]. Perhaps fastcgi will be my next step, as it is really quite slow.